The best Red Velvet cupcake I have ever had has been from the nicest bakery in London called Hummingbird Bakery. My sister lives in London so any time I came over for the weekend last year we would go to the amazing Portobello Market for a look around, get some falafel wraps from one of the stands there and then head into Hummingbird for a cupcake which is just along the main street of the market. It is always packed and well worth a try for their cupcakes!
It was a friends Hen Party this weekend so I decided to make 12 of these and 12 of my chocolate cupcakes to bring to the house for our pre drinks.
The Red Velvet is pretty easy to make, and the cake part is so light topped with a rich cheese frosting and the recipe really does taste just like the ones you buy from the bakery!
- For the Cupcake;
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 20g cocoa powder
- 40ml red food colouring
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 x 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g cream cheese, cold
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix again until fully combined.
- In a seperate bowl mix the cocoa powder, vanilla and red food dye until you have a very thick paste.
- Add this to the butter mixture and mix until everything is fully combined and all the same colour. Now add half your buttermilk. Mix well and add half of the flour and then repeat this process with the remaining buttermilk and flour.
- Next add the bicarb of soda and vinegar and combine well.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 paper cases and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until you can stick a sharp knife into a bun and it comes out clean.
- Leave to Cool fully before icing.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese and beat for about 5 minutes until well mixed and light & fluffy.