So as I have mentioned on previous posts or if you follow me on instagram, I overdid it quite a bit in the food and wine department over Christmas and the following month! I had such an amazing Christmas, my boyfriends family was over and so we had loads of great meals together, home cooked and eating out. We then travelled around Tasmania which was so beautiful and finished up in Melbourne! It was a great few weeks and I had some of the tastiest food ever on my travels.
As you can imagine, my body wasn’t too happy with me by the end and I was feeling pretty run down and sluggish. So I decided to do a 6 week detox/ cleanse! This is my first time ever doing a detox and I was scared!! Im the indulgent type and never deny myself anything so this is a serious eye-opener! Im happy to say 1 1/2 weeks are down and I haven’t cheated once 😉
The idea of the detox is for the first 4 weeks, Im cleansing out all the bad stuff – the build up of toxins, waste and bad bacteria. So I am having 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar before every meal along with some gut cleansing herbs I got from my nutritionist. Food-wise; I am off dairy, sugar, gluten, caffeine & alcohol! Phew! As many people are asking me, what the hell is left to eat?!!
The answer is FOOD! Real food that actually grows and isn’t created in some factory or lab that is. So Im filling up on fruit, veg, grains & fish. However, this is a big adjustment for me and the things that are saving me when it comes to snack time are:
- herbal teas (literally drinking 5+ cups a day) favourites are chai, fennel, matcha green tea & chamomile
- HUMMOUS. Ok so I’ve always been obsessed with hummous but now its on a whole new level.. dipping in raw veg (mostly carrots)
- Protein balls – mix 2 tbsp nut butter (I use almond), 2tbsp LSA mix (linseed, sunflower seed, almond meal), 2 tbsp cacao, 1 tbsp shredded coconut, 1 tbsp warm water, 1 tbsp goji berries (you could also add raw honey to sweeten if your not cleansing!)
- Acai & Smoothie Bowls. My new obsession. Make a bowl of berry smoothie with vanilla protein powder and top with chia seeds, goji berries & buccinis. Yum
- Sliced green apple sprinkled with cinnamon and dipped in almond butter
- Tamari Almonds. If you have not tried these, they are a must – I am obsessed!! You can buy them in most health food stores but they are really easy to make too. Just soak a handful of almonds in 2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce) for a few minutes, then bake for 10 mins on 180 degrees.
The next stage after that is maintenance for 2 weeks. Here you eat mainly the same diet but start to slowly re-introduce gluten & dairy. This is great because it will really help you to tell if you have any allergies/ reactions to dairy or gluten. Sometimes people may not notice when they constantly eat these foods that it doesn’t agree with them, but when you give it up for a bit, you can test your system by slowly bringing it back into your diet and seeing what happens.
This phase also builds back up the good bacteria so I will be taking probiotics and eating plenty of fermented foods. I will do another post when I get to that stage but in the meantime pray for my survival! Kady x