For this week’s Health Insider, we are talking to Rebecca Power, an Irish Vegan Yogi living in Sydney! Her Instagram is full of yummy vegan inspo and some pretty impressive yoga moves on all of her travels!
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you developed an interest in health?
I’m Becky, from Ireland. I qualified as a Yoga teacher last year while living in London and I am now working as a full time Yoga teacher in Sydney. I have always had an interested in health – originally studying biomedical science in Uni and then going on to work in pharma and healthcare – but over the years I have started to see how drugs and treatments are not the solution and the focus should be on promoting an active lifestyle and good diet.
2. What has surprised you most about the health world on your journey so far?
The absolute (and in my opinion unnecessary) obsession with animal protein.
3. What is your favourite nutritious recipe?
My three go to meals are:
- Porridge with banana and cinnamon
- Rye bread with smashed avocado
- Spinach and banana smoothie
I don’t cook so when I eat at home I either have one of the above or a big salad.
4. What is your biggest motivation to continue your health journey? Any go – to motivational self – talk to help you on week days?
My biggest motivation to continue on my health journey is knowing how good I can feel if I am cooking after myself. And I suppose if I am having a weak moment with my vegan diet, I watch a documentary to remind myself why I am sticking to it – Cowspiracy and Food Inc are my favs.
5. There is so much contradictory information out there about how to live life well and be your healthiest version. If you could pick one piece of advice that has stuck with you, what would it be?
Go Vegan/Do Yoga
6. How do you approach living a holistic life and the mind, body & spirit connection?
I think it is super important to take as much care of your mind as you do with your body. Yoga is a great way to find that balance and allows you to explore all three aspects.
7. What is your ideal morning routine?
Wake up early on a sunny day, attend an early Yoga practice followed by a big vegan brunch with my partner. Then go for a walk or to the beach and chill out with family and friends.
8. Favourite Sydney restaurants/cafes?
I haven’t tried all the restaurants on my list yet! So far I have loved the Mad Spud cafe on Crown Street. Being Irish I always appreciate a good spud – and there are plenty of vegan options and the portions are very generous!